As people age, particularly if they become more sedentary in their lifestyles, back pain can become a daily reality. Contributing factors can include a poor diet, obesity, poor posture, and injury, as all of these factors add to the stress and pressure that we put on our spines.
A healthy spine depends on proper alignment and curve to relieve this pressure and prevent the nerve damage that causes the resulting pain. Trained chiropractors use a technique called spinal decompression to provide natural pain relief to those who suffer from back pain related to alignment issues.
Spinal decompression is a gentle or moderate manipulation technique that can be manual or mechanically to reduce the pressure on the spine. The technique gently increases the space between vertebrae, easing the irritation of the nerves, providing relief from the cause of the back pain without invasive surgical procedures or prescription mediation.
What are the Benefits of Spinal Decompression?
- It is non-invasive – because this treatment does not require surgery, the patient can avoid all of the complications and risks associated with invasive procedures. There is no anesthesia, risk of infection or nerve injury, or long recovery period with spinal decompression. Often, patients require multiple surgeries in the case of spinal problems, increasing the likelihood of complications that spinal decompression avoids.
- It is a long-term solution – many treatments for back pain involve medication that masks the pain or muscle relaxers that provide temporary relief. These approaches may offer short-term breaks from pain for chronic back pain but ultimately fail to address the underlying causes of the spinal pain, ensuring that it will return.
- It is a drug-free method – many pain medications are opioid-based, have accompanying problems of dependence, and require escalating doses to be effective. If avoiding prescription drug dependence is important to you, spinal decompression is a healthy alternative.
- It is low-cost – compared to surgery, spinal decompression is thousands of dollars less expensive, even if your insurance does not cover the treatment.
- It is generally pain-free with no side effects – compared to other spinal treatments, the gentle approach that spinal decompression takes is actually relieving rather than pain-inducing and doesn’t have the danger of lasting side-effects that invasive surgery or prescription medications can entail.
Because the chiropractic approach treats your entire body rather than just attacking symptoms, the healing process is more natural and comprehensive. Restoring proper alignment and relieving spinal pressure addresses the root causes of the back pain, rather than covering up the symptoms with medication or exposing the patient to the risks of surgery to repair problematic or herniated discs.
Treatment is individualized and addresses the patient’s overall health, rather than simply being targeted at a problem area. The resulting effects improve overall health, as the chiropractor works with the patient to make lifestyle changes to prevent or slow future damage to the spine from occurring.